Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sign Waving for Prop 8

Tonight we went out and did the sign waving thing... If votes were counted by responses, honk for yes, obscenities for no, we would win about 80-10 (that's counting thumbs up or down as well - not everyone swore at us...). If we count sign holders we would still win about 23-4...
We did have one couple that looked like they were just waiting to cross the street. They started asking questions, like how would prop 8 take away freedom of speech or religious freedom, etc. I actually was able to give specific examples but I soon realized they weren't looking for information but for confrontation so I just left them to it and chased after my kids (always a good way to escape confrontation) One thing he tried to say, after I gave examples, was that it didn't take away his religious freedom. So I told him, "Well, if you want to completely center your thinking for how it effects you then that's fine" (I think that's when I walked off)
It reminded me of a quote I read about WWII about how they came for the Jews, but I wasn't a Jew, so I said nothing. Then they came for the ___ but I wasn't ___ ... then they came for me, and there was no one left to stand up. (You may be able to remember quotes you read once 20 years ago but I have to paraphrase - sorry)

Kelsey was a great waver...
Collin was so excited to help out. When they honked he turned to me and said, "Mom, they're all honking because I'm holding a sign!"

Other famous sign holders... don't worry- these were meant as a joke - and to remind us that there is safety in numbers...


Our good Karma led us to a new place for dinner afterwards. So, if you go out again tomorrow you should check out Snapper Jack's Taco Shack - it's really good... (Between the freeway and McDonald's - across from the High School)
PS - Thanks to Jessica for letting me call her and let me debrief... I'm barely shaking at all now. (Until I started writing about the guy I met - now it's started again... oi!)

3 comments:

Matt and Tiana said...

Matt saw you guys yesterday on his way to school. He honked at Chad but he didn't think that Chad saw him. I'm proud that you guys are standing up for what you belive in!

Debi Lassen said...

Yeah to another fellow sign waver! Nice pictures, Cate and I know exactly how you feel about confrontation. It isn't my comfort zone AT ALL....
Debi

sharonhat said...

Wow! That is so cool that you are really taking time to make a difference in the world. You are also teaching your kids something important. I wish I could have been there with you with my five sign holders! You are "Super Aunt!" I love that Chad supports you, David would think I was retarded and one person could never make a difference. . . I just got an idea, I have to go get some poster boards. . .