Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Prop 8 Won!

Wow! Although I kept track of the race on the Internet - even when Collin woke me in the middle of the night I took a quick peek - when I was driving to school this morning and heard that it was official I got very emotional - as I'm sure the no voters did too :( It is always so much worse to have something taken away than not granted. The judges never should have overturned to 2000 ruling - now 18,000 couple who married will be devastated by this vote - my heart goes out to them.
I heard a lot of negative talk today as I've walked around - like "Why isn't it ok for gays to marry but an teenager can have an abortion without parental consent??" I agree, unfortunately the ones that believe in the individuals "rights" rather than what's right who voted no on 8 were the same voting no on 4...
We hear a lot of talk about this being a historic election... I'd say not just about the presidential election. It amazes me what the *uneducated Christians were able to achieve against complete media opposition. Even as I was looking for results last night there was a big banner on the local newspaper's website for No on 8. And the article this morning said this: *"Parents, churchgoers and voters who never attended college said they voted for the gay marriage ban, while college-educated and nonreligious voters opposed it." They name a list of organizations for No on 8 and only list Christians as Yes on 8...
It's nice to know that Christianity is still strong in the country. Most people see California as Hollywood and San Francisco. Many forget, or don't know, the large number of "heartland" citizens through the central valley that still have original values.
It was interesting for me to see the county breakdown of who voted for what (see the previous post for the link) but then I'm a math person
I would like to think this is the last we'll hear about it - the people have spoken (again) but I'm sure already there are lawyers trying to declare 5,163,908 Californians mentally unsound and therefore their vote is null...
Stand True

3 comments:

Kim said...

Good job Cate!! I am so proud of how hard everyone worked!!

sharonhat said...

You guys are getting killed in the news. They are even slamming "the Mormons" for dumping so much money into getting it passed. Its CRAZY! Ours passed, but no one has said anything. Good luck going to the temple. Keep your windows rolled up and your doors locked!

Cate said...

Chad went Saturday but it was no big deal. One sign said "Stop the Mormons" and the other said something about "Stop the h8" Chad thought they contridicted each other beautifully.
We even had a couple of protestors outside of church on Sunday - we just smiled and waved :)
Wow, I feel like a pioneer - I get to be persecuted for my beliefs and being a good American :)