Monday, September 15, 2008

Collin fell...

I was doing dishes/making dinner when I heard someone come in the back gate. Kelsey said it was Dad but I saw Collin there. As I walked over I was surprised to see a stranger with a dog (She looked nice but in my mind I was thinking of all the different things Collin could have done that bugged the woman so much that she had to come tell me personally about it.) She just said, "He fell." As the calm mom I am I just said, "OK, thanks."
Then I looked at him. She kept talking, something about his bike but I stopped listening...
He had blood all over his forehead (I purposely used a bad picture so you wouldn't have to see it too clearly - yes, I grabbed my camera as I was rushing about trying to find a first-aid kit then realizing it would need something a bit more then had to go find it... (Did I mention I hate child locks - in the bathroom I have my medicine well protected with those super-duper locks that you have to use a magnet to get in - but never seem to work when you have an emergency and are ready to rip the door off the hinges... but I digress)
Like most head wounds it looked worse than it was. Luckily Chad came home while I was trying to clean it - in case I needed to take him to the hospital. But he was no help - I was on my 5th cotton swab and his all, "So, how'd you do that with your helmet on?" then noting the hole on his foot, "Oh, and I see you weren't wearing shoes, either." I didn't even look at him, "Not helping!" There's a time for the interrogation - After the blood has been sopped up!
Once it was it went something like this:
(I didn't even ask about the helmet - I know he never wears one...)
You told me you had shoes on, where are they...
How did you crash into the mailboxes?? You're supposed to stay on the sidewalk in front of the houses - NOT in the alley...
Ironically our FHE lesson tonight was going to be about road safety :)
Still, I was pretty impressed he didn't really cry until it was all over and then only a little bit (he whined but he whines about everything from putting on his shoes to washing his hair and everything in between.)
So if you see him this week he may be sporting a black eye and has a scar just about the same place as Cousin Kayley - but don't ask him about it - he's embarrassed (so of course I have to tell everyone in cyberland about it :) I lost count - was that 3 or 4 "bad mom " moments from this story???)

3 comments:

Cate said...

I was impressed with the art and sorry about the fall. I remember from Sharon how much a head injury can bleed. Hope he gets better fast. I guess they can't grow up without a few wounds but glad you were there and he did so well. Get better quick, Collin. Love, Grandma

Chuck and LeOra said...

Don't know how to change what went up with your picture. Grandma will learn how to do all this sometime.

sharonhat said...

Super glue works great instead of stitches. David uses it all the time. Especially when you don't want to give your own kid a shot and stitches. Boys look good with scars and chipped teeth, just ask Max:) Hope he is feeling better tomorrow.